top of page

Church History

1908  First Baptist church was founded by Raymond Rankins, Samuel J. Duncan, and Samuel R. Clay. The first minister was Rev. Suggs. Rev. Blake of Olivet Baptist Church, Chicago, IL was the second minister to serve. Other ministers to serve were Rev. Zimmerman, Rev. Davis and Rev. Ogelsby. The first church was built at 1617 Washington Street.

1913  Rev. Charles E. Hawkins became Senior Pastor.

1917  The church moved to 2101 Washington Street.

1944  Pastor Hawkins retired after 31 years of leadership.

1944  Rev. LaVaughn Venchael Booth, Sr. became Senior Pastor.

1952  Pastor L.V. Booth's pastorate ended.

1952  Rev. Dr. Robert E. Penn became Senior Pastor.

1955  The new church was built at it's present location 626 West 21st Avenue.  

1973  Rev. Dr. Penn's pastorate ended.

1973  Rev. Dr. Colvin Blanford, Sr. became Senior Pastor.

1981  Rev. Dr. Blanford's pastorate ended.

1981  Rev. Samuel Roberts served the congregation.

1983  Rev. William D. Booth, Sr. became Senior Pastor.

1990  Pastor W. D. Booth's pastorate ended. 

1990  Rev. Michelle Cobb served the congregation as Spiritual Leader.

1991  Rev. Allen H. Smith became Senior Pastor.

1994  Rev. Smith retired.

1994  Rev. Dr. Leo Reese, Assistant Pastor served the congregation.

1996  Rev. Dr. Bennie T. Henson became Senior Pastor.

2009  Rev. Dr. Henson's pastorate ended and the associate ministers served the congregation (Rev. Dr. Gloria Chambers, Min. Todd Deloney, Sr., Min. Ernest Douglas,

Rev. Dr. Waltee Douglas, Rev. Dr. Shelley Fisher, Rev. Kenneth Gray, Sr., Rev. Kim Hicks,

Min. Tracy  Robinson, and Min. JoAnn Williamson.)

2009  Rev. Dr. Eric Pearman served the congregation as Interim Pastor.

2010  Rev. Dr. Pearman's interim period ended.

2012  Pastor Timothy F. Brown became Senior Pastor.

2022  Pastor Brown's pastorate ended and the associate ministers served the congregation (Rev. Ernest Douglas, Dr. Shelley Fisher and Rev. Kenneth Gray, Sr.)  

2024  Pastor De'Wan M. Bynum became Senior Pastor.

First Building
Rev. Hawkins
Building in 1925
bottom of page